By Doug Smith September 5, 2008
We've all heard the saying: " do success.
If we know this, what are we waiting for? So many mortgage loan originators are waiting. They are waiting on the market to change, waiting for the rates to come down, waiting for the weather to warm. Others are waiting for some new product, waiting until the new computers are in, waiting for summer, waiting until they feel more confident in their skills. Waiting, waiting, waiting. While they are waiting they're losing opportunities, losing momentum, losing loans and losing money.
Would you classify yourself as a bit of a procrastinator? Are there things you want and need to be doing but are putting off?
We human beings are an optimistic sort. We believe that tomorrow will always be better and that things will improve. We become victims of circumstance, rather than masters of our future. Perhaps that is why so many in this business are not having the fun and success they should be having right now. If you are one of them, read on!
Are you tired of waiting for success to happen to you? Then let's do something about it!
1. Make a list of three things you have wanted to do but have not yet done. These might be:
Weekly sales calls
Start a database
Learn a new loan program
Attend a seminar
Join an association
Mail out letters
Run a magazine ad
Design and deliver a seminar
Target a new prospect
Organize your office
Design a personal brochure
Hire an assistant
There may be many things you want to do, but let's just start the ball rolling with three.
2. After you list your three actions, ask yourself: "Why haven't I done these things?" I'll warn you in advance the answers will be pretty lame. You'll hear yourself saying things like: "I just haven't taken the time," or "I've been a little busy lately," or "I haven't gotten around to it," or "I'm not ready." You have to admit that those reasons are hardly a strong defense for your inaction. Recognize and realize that very little is keeping you from moving forward except yourself.
3. Take out three brightly colored index cards and write each action on a card.
4. Place these three cards at the top of your desk facing you, in plain sight where you can't miss them.
5. Each day when you arrive at work, look at the cards. Make a deal with yourself that you will keep the three cards out and look at them every day until you either have accomplished the activity or you are doing it as you should.
6. When you can say you are no longer procrastinating and that the activity is happening or has been achieved, tear the card in half and throw it away!
Procrastination can paralyze you! There's no need to wait weeks or months for good things to happen to you when you can make them happen for yourself...right now!